It’s almost April… this time of year our boat spaces fill to capacity with boaters ready to enjoy the nearby Potomac River. Many of our boating customers have stored with us through the winter season and we are sometimes asked for advice on readying the boat and trailer for the first trip out. Here are a few tips we have compiled from almost 10 years in the boat storage business!
For the boat:
- Walk around the boat and trailer carefully conducting a full visual inspection: check clamps, hose and fuel lines, look for cracks or stress in the hull and surfaces
- Check out the bilge pump and switch in particular
- Go over your lines for wear
- Check or charger battery, if applicable
- Inspect safety gear (flares, fire extinguishers, life jackets, first aide kit)
- Make sure stern drain plug is in place!
For the trailer:
- Check tires for inflation, rot and general condition
- Check the trailer frame for rust – underside as well as hitch/chains
- Test the lights
- Test the brakes/emergency brake function
- Check boat registration and decals
- Trailer tags/registration
- Fishing licenses if any
Enjoy the 2018 Season!